Frequently Asked Questions


    Students can live in one of the many student dormitories which have basic to full furniture and Internet and cable access or in a private room. Usually rooms are available in a range from 160 Euro to 290 Euro (more apartment like) and the prices in the student dormitories usually already include costs like heating, water, electricity, and internet access. Information about accommodation is sent to accepted applicants well before their arrival to Germany.

Arrival support

    Prior to arriving in Germany students are informed about how to apply to student dormitories and their first steps when arriving in Germany (getting short-term accommodation, registration at the residents' authority, registration at the university etc.).

Where will the courses take place?

    Media Informatics is designed to give you the best from 3 great organizations: RWTH Aachen, Uni Bonn, and the participating (quite famous) Fraunhofer Institutes at Birlinghoven Castle in St. Augustin. That's why the core of the programme is designed to take place in the beautiful B-IT building next to the former office of the German Chancellor on the banks of the River Rhine in Bonn where you can have courses from all the above mentioned organizations. Labs and other courses may also take place at the University of Bonn and the Fraunhofer Institutes in St. Augustin (near Bonn).
    Further additional courses are also offered in Aachen.

Important note for VISA Application

    If you decide to live in Bonn, please state Bonn in your Visa application as place of residence instead of Aachen.

Who does issue my degree certificate?

    Your master degree certificate is issued by RWTH Aachen University.

What are my chances to find a job afterwards?

    Computer scientists with an applied focus have been in great demand in the past, and this trend is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.
    The alumni of Media Informatics are doing their PhD in Germany or abroad or are working at prestigious companies.
    In a survey by the Economics journals Wirtschaftwoche and Handelsblatt in 2009 the head recruiters of the biggest German companies were asked to evaluate the universities in Germany. In the ranking RWTH Aachen was selected as best university in Germany. RWTH Aachen secured a first place not only in one but directly in five categories. The alumni with a degree of RWTH Aachen are deemed to be best prepared for the job and are preferred to be hired by the companies. That result has been confirmed in consecutive years.
    The research quality of it's Computer Science department was once again also confirmed in the 2009 edition of the prestigious CHE Rating by the weekly ZEIT. As one of only four universities in the German-speaking countries it again reached the top research rating. Quite a number of our alumni thus do a PhD after their study (at RWTH Aachen, University of Bonn, or other universities in Germany or abroad).

    The ABCD region (Aachen, Bonn, Cologne, Duesseldorf) is home to many prospective employers, including global players such as Microsoft, Philips, Ericsson, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Bertelsmann Group, as well as many television stations such as WDR, VIVA, etc. and about 2/3 of our alumni stay in Germany. The others return to their home country or work in other countries of the EU or abroad. For examples of companies/universities where our alumni accepted positions or to read what our alumni say about Media Informatics please see b-it impressions.

Does RWTH Aachen have an institutional code (ETS code) for TOEFL test results?

    Yes, please ask ETS to send the TOEFL certificate to:
    ADDRESS: Templergraben 57; 52056 Aachen
    NAME OF DEPARTMENT: International Office
    (No Dept. Code)

Do we take tuition fees?

    Till summer term 2011 RWTH Aachen took a tuition fee of 500 Euro per semester (6 months). This is now covered by new state funds and students currently do not have pay a tuition fee.

    Per semester you will have to pay a social contribution fee of about 230 Euro which will include reduced prizes for meals and free public transport in the whole state of North-Rhine Westphalia.

    When you calculate the overall expenses please be aware that for your costs per month a fee which has to be paid once for 6 months may have less impact than day to day expenses which depend on the city. Compared with other cities day to day expenses are rather moderate in Bonn and Aachen and due to the many students life in Bonn and Aachen is vivid and quite nice.

Do we offer scholarships?

    For an extensive overview please read this.

    For PhD scholarships from the B-IT Research School or combined Master/PhD Scholarships from the B-IT Research School please have a look here.


Frequently Asked Questions by Enrolled Students

How many credit points will I get for lecture xyz?

    Please take a look at the Credit points page to understand the general scheme and visit the Courses page for currently and previously offered courses.

How can I register for examinations?

    You can register online via the Campus-Office (VZPA) or you can go personally to the registration officer from the Central Examination Office ("Zentrales Pruefungsamt").
    (The office is located in the Super C building, Templergraben 57.)

    You can register for examinations at some special dates announced by ZPA (see below at "For which exams do I have to register?").

    If you go there personally you need to present your student I.D. when registering.

    Please, tell the registration officer the following information:
    * the name of the Master Programme (Media Informatics)
    For exams of each course, tell him
    * the title of the course
    * the name of the instructor
    * the area the course belongs to, i.e. Computer and Communication Technology, Multimedia Technology or either Multimedia Use and Impact. If you do not know the area, ask your instructor or ask the coordination team.

    Note that the exams usually are either oral exams (min. 20 up to 30 minutes) or written exams covering the whole content of the lecture depending on your instructor.

    Date and time of written exams are announced in the lectures and on the webpages of the courses. Oral exam dates are arranged with the instructor in person.
    Once you have registered for the courses with the registration officer, he/she will send the official registration forms to the respective instructors. The forms will be filled out after the exam and the instructors will send them back to the Central Examination Office, where the results will be recorded. If anything is unclear, please, don't hesitate to ask.

For which exams do I have to register?

    You have to register for examinations in courses which you have heard in the current semester and in which you want to take an examination!
    You also have to register for examinations that you have failed and want to repeat this semester.
    (You do *not* have to register for examinations at ZPA for seminars, Technical Writing, German Exam, or labs.)

    If you want to take ANY examinations in lectures directly offered for MI you *MUST* register for them in the announced time frames (via VZPA or directly at the ZPA). The exam registration in the summer terms usually does take place about start/mid of June. The exam registration in the winter terms usually does take place about start/mid of December. Information about that can e.g. be found at the RWTH exam registration information page and typing Media Informatics in the given search field on that page.
    This information and the information below does refer to lectures directly offered for MI. The lectures directly offered for MI (in Bonn as well as in Aachen) can be found in the respective MI lecture areas (CCT, MMT, and MMUI) in the campus system of RWTH Aachen (cf. the Courses page).

Registration for the retry exam date

    A registration for the retry exam date (e.g. via VZPA) is in general *ONLY* possible *IF* you had registered for the exam taking place after the lecture period and after you did not pass that exam (i.e. if you fail the exam, if you withdraw from the exam without medical certificate (equivalent to fail), or if you withdraw from the exam with approved medical certificate (exam try not counted)).

    If you did not pass the exam in the first exam date of a course and you want to attend the second exam date then you must register for the second exam date. That is _not_ done automatically. (You can register for the second exam date but you don't have to if you don't want to participate in the second exam date.)

When can I register for the retry exam date?

    If a retry exam date is specified you can register for the retry exam date via VZPA until 7 (seven) days before the exam date (see the important reminder/condition for that below at IMPORTANT).

    If no retry exam date is specified a registration via VZPA for the retry exam is not possible. In this case, please inform the ZPA of RWTH Aachen that you want to participate in the retry exam (e.g. via email to Mrs. Cüpper and providing the following information to her:
    - the course name,
    - the credits of the course,
    - the lecturer/the professor responsible for the course,
    - and the location of the course (Bonn or Aachen).

    IMPORTANT: A registration for the retry exam date (e.g. via VZPA) is in general *ONLY* possible *IF* you had registered for the exam taking place after the lecture period and you did not pass that exam.

Can I cancel examinations?

    Yes you can. But only until three work days before your examination date. After that date you need a medical certificate.

Examination regulations